- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut bite-sized
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder or 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat or 1% milk
Heat oil in a large saucepan; sauté the chicken, onion and garlic powder until chicken is no longer pink.
Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and milk.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
Use leftover turkey instead of chicken. Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.