Reading the Recipe:
Following the directions to a recipe is only one part of cooking. Recipes are great tools to use but check out the following tips and ask yourself a few questions before you dive right in!
- Read through the recipe at least twice before you start to make sure you understand the directions. This is a tip even the finalists of the Great British Baking Show use.
- How much time does the recipe require?
- Do you even like all the ingredients in the recipe?
Time Saving Tips!
- Gather all the ingredients before you start. This is to make sure you have everything you need. Nothing is more upsetting that to get half way through a recipe and realize you are missing a key ingredient. You can even measure them all out before you start cooking.
- If you are baking, make sure the first thing you do is to preheat the oven.
- Keep a trash bowl or compost bowl nearby. This save trips back and forth to the trash can.
- Clean as you go. Are you done using that mixing bowl? Give it a quick rinse and set it out of the way. Rinsing dishes making washing them later much easier. The same is true for soaking pans. Fill that roasting pan with hot soapy water before sitting down to dinner.
- Wash your hands before starting anything in the kitchen. Be sure to remind kids to do the same. Remember to wash your hands after petting the dog, blowing your nose, or handling raw meat.
- When using the stove top, be sure to turn all the handles of pots and pans inward so that you don’t accidentally bump them and get burned.
- Putting out a fire! Always be sure you have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. If you don’t have one, be sure to ask your landlord for one.