Tabouli Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 1 cup dry bulgur wheat
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chopped mint (or cilantro)
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 0 DRESSING
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (or vinegar or half of each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Place the bulgur in a large bowl and soak in the hot water until the water is absorbed, (about 30 minutes). When it’s ready, drain any excess water.
Mix the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
Chop the vegetables and add to the prepared bulgur.
Add dressing to salad and stir. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve chilled.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Top with plain yogurt.
Add other chopped veggies including red or green peppers, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), grated carrots, or summer squash.
Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.