- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth or vegetable broth (see notes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin
- 1 cup non-fat or 1% milk
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
Add ginger, curry, cumin, nutmeg, and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the sweet potato, broth, water, and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft, stirring constantly.
Stir in the milk until heated through (don’t boil).
Ladle into bowls and top with 1/2 tablespoon low-fat sour cream.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.