- 2 Tablespoons vinegar (apple cider, red wine, or balsamic)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon mustard (Dijon or other)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 cups spinach (washed)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (unsalted, fat free)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
1. In a large bowl, combine vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, oregano, basil and nutmeg
2. Wash, drain and chop spinach
3. Add spinach, black beans, tomatoes and onions to vinegar and oil. Toss well and serve
• Top your salad with other vegetables: mushrooms, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, red onions, etc.
• Replace beans with cooked chicken, egg, or tuna as an alternate source of protein.
• Add cubes of cheddar, swiss, or smoked gouda cheese for additional nutrients.
• Fruit makes a great addition-try dried cranberries, cherries, raisins, or apricots, or fresh berries in season.