Spicy Rice Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small bell or jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chopped tomato, fresh or canned, with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup (3 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese
Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
Add onion and peppers and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Add rice, tomato, 2 cups water, and spices. Mix well and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
If using instant rice, reduce water to 1 cup.
Try ground turkey in place of beef.