Southern Okra Bean Stew
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (16 ounce) frozen, sliced okra
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the quick rice and reduce water by 1 cup.
Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.