- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can (30 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium vegetable broth (see notes)
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, and reduce heat to low.
Add beans and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.