- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. (If using garlic powder, omit oil and skip this step).
Add tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. For a thicker sauce, cook an extra 10 to 20 minutes to allow more of the liquid to evaporate.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.