- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounce each or 3 1/2 cups) low sodium vegetable or beef broth (see notes)
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked macaroni
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
In a 5 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrot in oil, stirring constantly until onion is soft, but not browned.
Add potato, tomatoes, broth, beans and basil.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add macaroni and zucchini. Cook another 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
Use any vegetables you have on hand.
Add cooked meat if desired.Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.