- 8 cups chopped kale (about 1 large head)
- 1 can (15 ounces) fruit in 100% juice (try pears, peaches, mandarin oranges, apricots, pineapple))
- 1⁄2 cup 100% fruit juice, reserved from canned fruit
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
Wash kale and pat dry. Remove rib from the middle of each leaf. Chop or tear leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drain and chop fruit if pieces are large. Add to kale.
In a small bowl, combine fruit juice, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and sunflower seeds, if desired. Mix well.
Add dressing to the kale and fruit and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
To soften the kale and improve the flavor, before adding the fruit in step 1, rub the torn leaves together until the kale becomes dark green and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes, OR prepare the salad a day ahead and refrigerate.