Italian Veggie Soup
- 1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced or diced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced or chopped cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato pieces with liquid
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ouncse) cut green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned and drained
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons or 3 cubes low sodium beef, chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup small macaroni (optional)
In a skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet), cook the ground meat until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain any fat. Add to soup pan.
In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, and carrots until limp but not brown. Add to soup pan.
Add all the remaining ingredients to soup pan.
Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.