Ham and Vegetable Chowder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 cup chopped lean ham (8% fat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Heat oil in 4 quart (or larger) saucepan. Saute onion, cabbage, and potato over medium heat, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add chicken broth, corn, ham, and pepper.
Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes
Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
For a vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and beans for the ham.