- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped or shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
Saute onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Add your favorite fresh, canned or frozen chopped vegetables.
Try whole wheat English muffins instead of buns.