- 1 cup dry barley
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
- 1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned and drained)
- 3 cups lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup green onions, sliced thin (can use any onions)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Place barley and water in a 2-3 quart saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try substituting different fruits and vegetables.