- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chili sauce (about 9 ounces)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken, and cook until no longer pink when cut.
Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, and cayenne pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serve over hot, cooked rice or pasta.
No chili sauce? Make your own and reduce sodium using these ingredients: 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce 1 tablespoon vinegar 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 teaspoon chili powder