- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups potatoes, peels and diced bite size
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat or 1% milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits or 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onions and celery in oil until onions are clear.
Add the potatoes, broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and ¼ cup of milk until smooth. Add remaining milk. Stir into the potato mixture.
Cook and stir until thickened and heated through, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Top with bacon bits. Serve warm.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.