Butternut Apple Crisp
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 0 Oat Topping Ingredients:
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut squash into thin slices.
In a large bowl, toss the squash, apples, corn syrup and lemon juice.
In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; stir into squash mixture.
Lightly spray or oil 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish. Transfer squash mixture to baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Remove baking dish from oven and sprinkle topping over squash mixture. Return uncovered dish to oven.
Bake 25 minutes longer or until squash and apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.