- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups black beans, about 2 cans (15 ounces) cooked or canned (with liquid)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice or juice from 1 lime
- hot sauce to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Stir often.
Add the beans, potatoes and water. Bring to a boil; then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the cilantro, cumin, lime juice and hot pepper sauce, if desired. Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try topping soup with non-fat sour cream, chopped cilantro and baked tortilla chips.
Freeze extra lime juice to use later.