Beef Barley Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat or less)
- 1 large carrot, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 small onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 stalk celery, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat.
Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, barley, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for about 30 minutes.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms with tomatoes.
Add 1 cup chopped kale or other greens with tomatoes.