- 1 cup dry barley
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sweet snap peas, chopped
- 2 cups apples or another fresh fruit or veggie, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon or lime juice
Place barley and water in a 2-3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn to low. Cook covered for 45 minutes.
Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute different fruits and vegetables in season.
Add nuts or seeds for added protein.