- 2 cups cooked pearl barley (cooking directions below)
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup corn (canned, frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs, for garnish (optional)
Mix barley with remaining ingredients, except garnish, in a large bowl.
Cover and chill several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
Garnish with cilantro or parsley sprigs, if desired, and serve.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
o cook pearl barley:In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 to 3 1/2 cups. Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze. Add cooked barley to soups, stews, casseroles and salads for a healthful whole grain boost.
Freeze extra lime or lemon juice to use later. Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.