- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 slices fresh ginger root, peeled and minced, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (8 ounce) pineapple chunks, drained (save juice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth or water (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 cups sliced vegetables, such as celery, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
Add chicken, ginger and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
Add pineapple juice, 1 cup of orange juice, chicken broth and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add sliced vegetables. Cover and cook 3 minutes.
Mix remaining 1/2 cup orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
Add tomato wedges and pineapple chunks.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
Serve with brown rice for a more complete meal.