- 1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained (about 2 medium fresh tomatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetables fresh, frozen, or canned and drained (try one or more-zucchini, bell pepper, broccoli, corn, cauliflower)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese
Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet) until no longer pink. Drain fat.
Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add rice, tomatoes, vegetables, water, and spices. Stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Add more water if needed.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 1 to 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt. Serve warm.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try brown rice and simmer for 20 more minutes.