- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh or 1/2 teaspoon ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (try cauliflower, peppers, carrots or peas)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet).
Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.