- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup orzo or tiny pasta
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in water, diced tomatoes with juice, lentils, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Simmer for 25 minutes.
Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serve topped with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.