- 2 cans (15 ounces) black-eyed peas or black beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions (5 green onions)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas (or black beans) and corn.
Finely chop the cilantro and green onions.
Dice the tomatoes and avocados.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix oil, vinegar or lime juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
Pour oil mixture over salad ingredients and toss lightly.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serve with your favorite meal or as a snack with tortilla chips.
Try adding other vegetables such as sweet or hot peppers or zucchini.
Freeze extra lime juice to use later.Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.